Tuesday 28 January 2014

The hobbed bolt part 3

The quest for the ideal hobbed bolt just took a new turn.  On Monday afternoon I rigged up a steel "bolt hobber" (a piece of steel with a hole in it clamped perpendicular to the M8 bolt, to guide the tap).  My setup was flimsy, but showed promise, so I think I should be able to hob a bolt.

If that fails, the option of cutting grooves with the Dremel tool and sharpening the "teeth" with a needle grinding tip is always a fallback option.

However, Quentin (designer of the Morgan) just posted his solution to the problem of the Eckstruder battling with 1.75mm filament:

RepRap Morgan 1.75mm extruder on reprap.harleystudio.co.za

This latest option is a modified RepRapPro Mini Extruder, which does NOT use a hobbed bolt, but rather a hobbed drive "gear" which is tapped in the centre (see bottom photo in the article).  Quentin made his from brass on a small lathe, which I do not have access to, so at first glance, it leaves me with no option but to order one ready-made if I opt for this solution.

I might decide to stick with the hobbed bolt extruder for the moment (and accept filament jams) until I can figure out a way to manufacture a drive gear as described. 

I will be thinking about this in the coming week...

No comments:

Post a Comment