Saturday 4 January 2014

Basics

Even though I can build circuit boards (from "first principles", i.e. CAD drawings), I have decided to try to get up and running as quickly as possible, and to order most of the stuff ready-built.  I might later see if it is worthwhile compiling kits or building up boards and offering them for sale, as my previous career as design engineer have left me with all the contacts for cost-effective manufacturing.  But for the moment, the mission is to get a working printer.

Hardware:

I have decided on the following for the Morgan (see Quentin Harley's blog http://www.reprapmorgan.com).  I have an Arduino Mega board with the software design tools from a previous project, so the interface to the printer is in the form of a RAMPS 1.4 board.  Stepper drivers still needs to be decided on.

The print head I ordered from e-bay (J-head), and also the stepper motors (I bought some extra).  Printed parts from Quentin himself, universal build plate and heated bed from Openhardware, and the RAMPS board, stepper pulleys and timing belt from Micro Robotics.

All of these are still in the process of delivery, so today I visited the hardware shops and started purchasing "vitamins", or the hardware necessary to complete the build.  Builders Warehouse is my friend..., except that I could not source the (rather long) Alpen SDS drill bit.  Witbank hardware stores stock bits up to 250mm in length, and I need 400mm.  Luckily I know the owner of Middelburg Mica so maybe he can help (order one if necessary).

The bearings will also be ordered on Monday.  One thing about Witbank, with all the mining activity in the area, engineering supply shops are in good supply.

Software:

I have downloaded the Morgan firmware (obviously), as well as OpenSCAD, Slic3r, and Pronterface (PrintRun).  This seems to be all I need to get going (OpenSCAD only if I want to create parts from scratch).  I have previously played with SketchUp (when it was still with Google) and Blender (in my Linux days), and I like the text-based language for OpenSCAD (it reminds me of Matlab at varsity many many years ago).

Photos of my first days progress will follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment