Monday 6 January 2014

Frustration

Sourcing some of the vitamins for my Morgan build is turning out to be frustrating, to say the least.  I had to go into the office (Bryanston) today (first day of work), and decided to see if I could buy the PVC pipe and SDS drill bit while there.

The drill bit is available in 310 mm overall length (250 mm thread), but not the longer 450/400 length.  I have found 10mm bits in that length, and many OTHER brands in long lengths, but not the Alpen bit.  No success yet (and I visited no less than FOUR Builder's Warehouse branches and THREE Micas, and various other hardware stores).

I can order a bit online, but the price seems to be around R1000 (as opposed to less than R200 in the brick-and-mortar stores).  Not an option.

On the PVC pipe front, the best I could do was 32mm OD flexible pipe (as used in garden irrigation systems), which is not what I want.  Eventually I ended up driving past Incledon in Germiston on the way home and buying 6m of the right stuff (32mm OD class 16 (2.4mm wall thickness) PVC pipe).  Enough for THREE Morgans, for under R70.

Positive news was a phone call from Micro Robotics looking for a physical address to courier parts (RAMPS, and timing belt/pulleys) to, and the OpenHardware order (plate and heated bed) has also shipped via the post office!


1 comment:

  1. Try Acorn fasteners or Chaimberlain's for those Alphen drillbits.
    The PVC pipe I got from Plumblink. They carried a lot of stock in their Midrand branch. Ask for 32mm Class 16 pipe, a blue pipe.

    ReplyDelete