Saturday 18 January 2014

J-head hotend

This morning I received an e-mail from the ebay store where I purchased the J-head hotend.  This was my very first Morgan purchase, shortly after Christmas.  They wanted to know whether I had received the hotend, and asked me to rate the purchase on ebay.

Of course, I HAD to go check the postbox before I responded (although I was there yesterday), and sure enough, the parcel was there. 

Back home this afternoon I wired the thermistor into the RAMPS connector, and connected the heater element to the appropriate connector.  I disabled the bed thermistor in the Marlin code and fired up Pronterface.

The J-head (sold as a MK V) is a clone from Hong Kong, judging by its 4 cooling fin slots as opposed to 5 (saw that on the internet somewhere) but it had a hollow set screw at the back holding the PTFE liner, and already wired up and Kapton taped together. The supplied wiring is just short of a meter.  No information on the thermistor that is mounted, so I selected thermistor '1' in the Marlin code.

Once Pronterface connected, I read the temperature, and it reported around 30 degrees C.  With the heat wave we have been experiencing lately, that was about right, so I selected 230 degrees C (ABS) from the drop-down and switched the heater on.  The LED on the RAMPS board lit up and I could feel the nozzle heating up immediately.

Pronterface can graph the temperature in real time and I saw it climb up to the target, once there, the LED switched off and started swithcing on occasionally.  Looks like bang-bang temperature control, as it flickers somewhat, but it tracked 230 degrees accurately.

With no way to confirm the temperature of the nozzle I pushed a piece of filament against the metal bottom of the J-head, and it melted as expected.  So far so good!  From the ammeter on my power supply it looks like approximately 3-4 Amps going into the heater element.




1 comment:

  1. Replying here from the Harley studio post "First $35". Thanks for doing this play by play. Any chance you purchased this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reprap-Ramps-1-4-and-4-pololu-compatible-drivers-1-SET-/150828115953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item231e0e67f1#ht_2216wt_1396 It almost feels that I should just start by getting an Andrinio and get that learning curve over with. Perhaps there is a 2nd - ary board I can get that wouldn't duplicate something I'll get cheaper in a kit later on. The link above seemed to actually meet the under $100 goal. How many additional parts should I expect to get after that. A blog post about all your parts and cost to this point would be helpful as well. Thanks again for doing the post...looking forward to as much detail as you can muster.

    ReplyDelete