Sunday 26 January 2014

The hobbed bolt part 2

I was hoping that the blog entry "The hobbed bolt" would only have two parts.  This is not going to be the case.

Hobbing a bolt is not as easy as some youtube videos would have you believe.  I do not have a lathe, or a drill stand, and have to do with hand-held tools.  First I marked the 13 mm point from the bottom of the head, then I cut a groove in the bolt shank (using the small angle grinder and a steel cutting disc):


Then I clamped the bolt in two 608z bearings in the bench vise, and tried to hob the bolt with the tap fastened in the hand drill:


This did not result in the beautiful hobbed bolt pictured in part 1 of this post.  The tap was all over the place, scoring the bolt and generally making a mess.  The groove is roughened, and here and there clear "teeth" were cut, but in general not a successful outcome.  I'm sure the extruder will extrude, but probably not have much grip, so a new plan will have to be devised.  A picture of the result:



The ideal is a "bolthobber", Thingiverse Thing # 232511, but for that you will need a 3D printer (exactly what I'm trying to build here).  I need a way to hold the tap fixed relative to the bolt (by hand it bucks and jumps), but I'm sure I will be able to get it done.  I will report.

No comments:

Post a Comment