Tuesday 18 February 2014

Bed assembly

If this build blog sounds negative, with me reporting on all the difficulties, please forgive me.  I mention the things I battled with, wishing I had known what to look out for, and maybe it helps someone else down the line.

It isn't all bad, much of the assembly went plain sailing, such as the arms. I believe there is a detailed illustrated build instruction coming out soon, and that should help. In the mean time I do many of the things twice or even three times to get it right.

I sourced a backlash spring locally and could get on with the bed support. I found the PLA arms very hard and brittle, and the LM8UU bearings would not click into the ridges provided.  Eventually I forced a spare bearing down the tubes, removing some of the ridge completely, and glued the  linear bearings in place (my bearings are already fitted on the rods so the arms are assembled in place and I am scared of straining the rods, having broken the support already).

With the support in place it became clear that the brackets underneath the universal aluminium plate are in the wrong place, as the bed does not clear the top platform.  Time to disassemble the bed and fix that.

I will be replacing the plate glass top with safety glass, apparently single layer safety glass is good for 200 degrees C, as opposed to around 80 for plate glass.

I am also slowly doing the wiring properly. From what I've seen, RepRap printers tend to be a rats nest of wiring, probably left as is after testing.  I would like the Morgan to look neat, and am modelling the wiring after some looms I've seen in military boxes. This is slow going, though.

It should not be too long before I can start movement testing...

1 comment:

  1. I used 4mm plate glass that had an insert cut out for the heatbed's LED's and wires.
    Of the 5 I had made, they all cracked on the insert corners after a while.
    I got a 3mm Aluminium plate last week and that's been working great.

    ReplyDelete