Sunday 9 February 2014

Autodesk 123D Design fail

Still suffering of postal non-delivery (and resultant non-progress on the Morgan), I have been looking at 3D design software to introduce mainly the kids to 3D making.  I have downloaded and installed OpenSCAD, but for the rest of the family that is not going to work that well.  I have previously used Google Sketchup, and from what I could see the Autodesk 123D Design software might be easy enough to use to introduce the rest of the family to making.

At 282 MB download, I waited till after midnight to save some bandwidth (we have a lot of "Night Owl" data available), and in the small hours of the morning I battled to get 123D Design to work.

The software starts up, with splash screen, and simply closes down directly after the splash screen.  No error messages, no event log entries, just a fail.  I scrutinised the system requirements, and although the laptop is a few years old, should easily fulfill the requirements.  Searching the web and forums on the Autodesk site was no help, and I was in no mood to go to extreme lengths to search or contact tech support, so I just deleted it from the PC.

I did try an install on the newer Windows 8 laptop, but that is a 64bit machine, so I need to do ANOTHER 300MB download, no thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment