Monday 31 March 2014

Waiting for new J-head

The fix to the J-head (using exhaust putty to patch a cracked PEEK body) is not a success.  It still leaks molten plastic, resulting in me having to "wipe its nose" every few minutes, and also messes up the extrusion calculation (sometimes too little material comes out the nozzle).

I have ordered replacement J-heads (two, since I am also building a second, better Morgan), but that will only be here in a week or two.

In the mean time I have "fixed" the hot-end three or four times, using the abovementioned putty (alone and in combination with PTFE plumbers tape), and the most recent "fix" seems to have blocked the nozzle itself.  No material extruding.

I will try to fix the nozzle by purchasing a very thin PCB drill (0.4mm), but that is not available here so it will only happen when I visit Jhb/Pretoria again.

No comments:

Post a Comment