Saturday 8 March 2014

PLA filament and microstepping upgrade

There were two parcels in the post box this morning. One contained three rolls of PLA filament, white, red and yellow (the last two nice and bright) from ABS-Filament (.co.za) in Nelspruit. I'd like to compare the printing performance of the Morgan on PLA vs ABS. But I expect a bit of experimentation to get the optimum settings before we're at best performance.

The second parcel (from Micro Robotics) contained amongst others two stepper motor driver boards, based on the DRV8825 driver chip. This is intended for the X and Y channels on the RAMPS board, to get full resolution. I am already running 0,9 degree motors, with 1/32 microstepping I am doubling the resolution on Theta and Psi angles.

All that SHOULD be required is to plug the new boards in and doubling the steps on the M92 command, but I will check the calibration afterwards to confirm the aspect ratio stayed preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment