Wednesday 16 April 2014

Morgan 2

Morgan 2 is slowly coming along (nothing has happened over the last week), the frame is assembled.  I forgot to fit the linear bearings on the smooth rods, however, so I will have to disassemble slightly to rectify that.

I am still battling to print the large parts, which is the arms, drive wheels, and bed frame.  The replacement J-head is not performing as well as the first one.

The first one I broke by accidentally heating it up too far (I still don't know how I did that), and the PEEK body cracked where the nozzle/body screws in.  This causes molten plastic to leak out, resulting in under-extrusion through the nozzle, and me having to wipe off dripping plastic every 15 minutes. 

The attempts at fixing were less than successful - I tried PTFE tape and a hose clamp to tighten the crack, I tried two brands of exhaust-fixing putty, but still it leaks.

I replaced the J-head with another off e-bay, but this one is not working as well.  This one is for both 3mm and 1.75mm filament (the previous one only for 1.75), so the lock nut at the back has a 3mm hole, the PTFE lining is made up of two sleeves one inside the other (take out the inner one to go 3mm), and most importantly, the heating body/nozzle is 3mm ID.

This seems to cause problems after cooling down - it does not print well the second time.  It seems clogged.

At the moment the hot-end is disassembled for cleaning, this weekend I intend printing some parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment